11/2/07

Back to Reality

OK, so my last post and picture were looking ahead to better times when we get a new Town Council, now it's back to reality.

The Cary Town Manager just released our 3rd quarter report. During the quarter, Cary issued 707 building permits -- an all-time record high for any quarter. Local TV station WBST ran a story, here are some excerpts with Bernie McSmales:

Reporter: So, Mr. McSmales, you have had a busy third quarter!

McSmales: Yes Jane, we have continued to move the town forward at a fiscally responsible pace.

Reporter: I read somewhere that Governer Easley has asked municipalities to reduce water consumption by 50%, do you think setting records for building is a good idea?

McSmales: Absolutely, Jane. Yes, these new projects will require water for pouring concrete, but since Cary just gave back 7,000 gallons to NC's water supply, this represents a fair balance.

Reporter: You mean the 7,000 gallons of raw sewage that was spilled into a Lake Johnson tributary last week?

McSmales: Eventually that will become water, stop with the details. Besides, all those building permits were approved by Harold Winebreck four years ago.

Reporter: I thought you took credit for restoring a healthy growth rate in the town?

McSmales: Yeah, but I figured out real quick that that wouldn't get me votes. You need to keep up with the commercials, Jane.

Reporter: So, is this how you want to be remembered by citizens, for presiding over the all-time record quarter for building permits?

McSmales: Nope. I still have all of November left in office and I'm going for the monthly record there too!

Reporter: Well, Bernie, you've killed a lot of trees in your time.

McSmales: I didn't want to do it, but felt I owed it do them.

No comments: