1/21/07

The Path to Self-Destruction

Ironic that today's N&O article about the mass migration to Wake County points to Money Magazine's ranking of Cary in the top ten places to live as part of the cause.
Thankfully, I have never spent much time in Cooke County. I have, however, spent a great deal of time in Suffolk county (where my anscestors are from), and in and around Farifax county. I lived in Manassas, VA [right on the Fairfax county line] for 8 years prior to being transferred here in 1992. On one hand, that makes me part of the growth problem. On the other hand, I think I can accurately describe the environments which drove these people here -- a living hell. The N&O accurately describes Suffolk/Fairfax counties; Horriffic traffic and real estate prices which make it very hard for a young family to 'get ahead.'
I do note that both counties found ways to deal with their growth rates without MYR. Perhaps the BoE should spend some time with their counterparts in these counties to learn from them. If a quick to NY will help Patti Head get religion, I'll buy her a plane ticket.

Long-term, imagine picking up Suffolk or Fairfax county and plopping it in the middle of the triangle -- that's what we're creating. Our town and governments can slow down the growth rate, but cannot stop it. The question is, how will they manage it.
We should all be very afraid of of ending up as Suffolk County South. As parents, we'll reap the benefits of huge increases in our property values. As families, we'll pay the price of forcing our children to go somewhere else where they can 'get ahead.' Is this the circle of life? Hakuna Matata!

No comments: